A hematoma is a bruise that usually a result of blood collection underneath the skin. It is typically caused due to a blunt trauma that leads to blood vessel damage, but certain medications, infections, strokes, etc. can cause hematoma too. Some hematomas involving grievous injuries require immediate medical intervention. On the other hand, milder forms of this condition can be treated with OTC medications and simple home remedies. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor in any circumstance to evade possible risks.
Symptoms of hematoma
Here are some of the common symptoms of hematoma
- Severe pain in the affected area
Two useful home remedies for hematomas
A proper diet is one of the best home remedies for hematomas. An intake of increased proteins, vitamins and minerals can help heal the hematoma internally. The following is a list of foods which can be beneficial for treating hematomas.
- Vitamin C Loaded with antioxidant properties, Vitamin C can help reduce the bruising and discoloration. Citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, grapefruits, sweet lemons, etc.), strawberries, papayas, bell peppers, pineapple, broccoli, etc. are some of the fantastic sources for Vitamin C.
- Protein The intake of protein is crucial as it helps to rebuild the damaged tissues. Some of the foods packed with high amounts of proteins are chicken, eggs, salmon, lamb, sardines, tuna, etc. If you don’t have meats, then you can have dairy products, soy, quinoa, hummus, tofu, nuts, seeds, spinach, peanut butter, artichokes, lentils, beans, etc.
- Vitamin K This particular vitamin is important as it resolves the issue of blood clotting. Spinach, raw green turnips, kale, parsley, raw cabbage, broccoli, wheat bran, Brussels sprouts, dairy products, eggs, etc.
Apart from necessary dietary changes, ensure that you stay hydrated. Avoid caffeinated drinks, packaged juices, and alcohol as they might slow down the healing process. Instead, try to have herbal teas and homemade fruit juices.
You can also use home remedies for hematomas like the RICE therapy, i.e., rest, ice, compression, and elevation.
- Rest Ensure that you rest for at least one to three days. The restricted movement will help cease any further leaking of blood.
- Ice Apply ice to the damaged part to lessen the pain and inflammation. Just make sure that you cover the ice pack in a towel so that it doesn’t sting your skin.
- Compression Use a bandage to firmly cover your hematoma so that it can reduce the level of swelling. It is important to be noted that compression bandages shouldn’t be super-tight, as this can affect the circulation in the affected area, making the situation worse.
- Elevate If you have an injury on the leg, then raise and rest it on an elevated level using pillows. This will help reduce the discomfort and soreness.
Remember the above-mentioned home remedies for hematoma should only be implemented after you receive an accurate diagnosis from your doctor.