When planning a road trip, you would rather choose an SUV over a sedan given the convenience and comfort that an SUV comes with. But then you would not want to stop to fill the gas tank of the SUV too many times on your way. A crossover special is what would fit perfectly in your road trip plans. Here is a list of crossovers which come with the best gas mileage and exceptional overall performance:
- Mercedes Benz GLK250 Bluetec (28 mpg): This is a great crossover that is really fuel efficient and also comes power-packed with an athletic appeal. It sips its fuel from a 2.1 liter turbo diesel four-cylinder with 200hp and 369 lb-ft torque. It achieves 24mpg in the city and a 33 mpg on the highway. This crossover offers drivers a smooth ride.
- Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (28 mpg): This SUV comes with a 2.4 liter, four-cylinder engine and provides 168 hp. Unfortunately, the Outlander Sport’s engine is sluggish after prolonged intervals and drones when pushed to higher speeds.
- Subaru Outback (28 mpg): This fuel-efficient SUV offers an excellent all-wheel drive system. The crossover reaches 25 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway with the help of a four cylinder engine. The six-cylinder variants only offer 20-27 mpg, although they feel more powerful on the road.
- Buick Encore (28 mpg): The Buick Encore uses a 1.4 liter turbocharged four-cylinder and provides 138 hp. Buick offers a ton of extra features on the luxury models.
- Fiat 500X (28 mpg): The Fiat 500X although a fuel-efficient SUV, suffers from a shaky ride, road noise and slow acceleration. Maximum fuel efficiency is achieved only on the base model which comes with a 1.4 liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed manual transmission.
- Nissan Rogue (28 mpg): The Rogue gives 26 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway, making this one of the most efficient compact crossovers in the market. The transmission and brake system on this crossover is extremely efficient. It also comes with a divide-n-hide cargo system.